Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

T is for Trees (Part 2) - 5/3/11

                 


                      The spindles actually look like this:                                 BUT, you use what you have.


This week was Tech Week!! That meant dress rehearsals every afternoon/evening from 4:30 to 8:30, SO that cut into our school days a bit. Still, we did manage to get some fun things done. Tuesday morning started out with some Montessori counting using popsicle sticks.
We also did some more pattern work  - this time with the colored farm animal counters and the Farm Animal Pattern Cards.  Then they did one of their favorite activities - sticky dot letters. As usual I used the Do-A Dot Letters from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I realized after a bit that Freddie was taking a really long time with his and when I looked down at what he was doing I saw that he kept looking up at our ABCs chart up on the wall and then back at his paper. Turns out he had finished his sticky dots and was now writing other letters all over his paper. He has been doing this a lot lately - stringing long lines of letters together and then asking what they say. I usually tell him they say "Aunt Wendy is a totally awesome babe," or something like that, and funny enough, he usually just smiles and says "Oh, yeah, dat what it says."




I had a bunch of things to cut out on this day because I was making up some file folder games, so I made up a big treasure hunt game for the preschoolers. I put out a while bunch of things that we had worked with over the past few weeks, and then we had a bit of a test. I asked them to bring me things while I was cutting and they would go find them and put them back in the tub. Like I would say, "Freddie, go find me a number 5.  Flossie go find me a Letter T. Both of you go find me a Triangle. Go find me 2 green things."  This went on for about a half and hour and I got my cutting finished while I also got a good idea what they knew and what they still need more work on. Freddie knows all the letters we have worked on and all his numbers up to 4 but then needs help with recognizing the others. Flossie can recognize letter K, and sometimes B,  L,  T. She knows number 1,2 and sometimes 3, often 4, and sometimes 5. She confuses 3 and 5 often. When I put a list of number on my table numbered in order from 1 to ten, they were able to go up to it and count to the number they were looking for and then find the number, so their counting to ten is good and their ability to look at a number or letter and then find that in a group is good. They both do pretty well with their colors. They don't do great with their shapes. We need more work on that.





After that they worked on an ABC puzzle while Jem worked on the subtraction file folder game I made him and Scout worked on her handwriting which looks really nice in the book! (Just wish it translated to her schoolwork!)  Then we did put our Tree books together. I am bummed that I only got one picture of this process. I was too busy cutting out pics and helping put them together. The kids had fun painting with their hands. Scout had fun helping them do it. It actually wasn't too much of a mess. So win win :)



No comments:

Post a Comment