Friday, August 19, 2011

Knucklehead!! - 8/12/11

No preschool Friday. Just a quick note to tell you about our adventure Friday night. Jem and Scout had their Superhero show.
Superheroes League of Justice

Afterwards there was a planned birthday party at the theater. Jem was running around as usual an in the process ran into someone who was coming through a doorway. He went flying backwards and hit the back of his head on the ground. Apparently it knocked him out for a minute. He said, "I was asleep and I woke up and I didn't know why I was there or what happened. I couldn't remember why I was there or why I was going through those doors." He was pale and dizzy and wanted to go home after that, so within about 20 minutes we had packed everything up and left. After a little bit of internet searching I called my insurance 24 hour nurse line and then a trusted friend (Thanks Wendy!) and both agreed that he should go to the ER to be checked out just in case. I REALLY didn't want to do that, mainly because I was worried about his anxiety about medical stuff. His last hospital visit was at his diagnosis, and I didn't want it to put him back in a bad place, but I also just kept thinking about Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson and how she died after hitting her head and feeling fine right after:

On 16 March 2009, Richardson sustained a head injury when she fell while taking a beginner skiing lesson at the Mont Tremblant Resort in Quebec, about 130 kilometres (81 mi) from Montreal. The injury was followed by a lucid interval, when Richardson seemed to be fine and was able to talk and act normally. Paramedics and an ambulance which initially responded to the accident were told they were not needed and left.[19] Refusing medical attention twice, she returned to her hotel room and about three hours later was taken to a local hospital in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts after complaining of a headache.[20][21] She was transferred from there by ambulance to Hôpital du Sacré-Cœur, Montreal, in critical condition and was admitted about seven hours after the fall.[22][23] The following day she was flown to Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, where she died on 18 March.[1] An autopsy conducted by the New York City Medical Examiners Office on 19 March revealed the cause of death was an "epidural hematoma due to blunt impact to the head", and her death was ruled an accident.[20]
 I had to take him. But thankfully it was late, and he was tired, and they didn't do anything invasive, and he basically slept through the whole thing. I woke him up when we first got there because obviously he had to walk in (he's way too heavy for me to carry anymore) and I didn't want him to be asleep and then wake up in the hospital. I explained to him what the sitch was and he was a little upset and scared but I calmed him down. He was mainly worried about an IV which I didn't think he would need but he was reassured that we had our trusty EMLA with us (not sure if they would have let us use it or not!). Anyway, we were there from about midnight to about 5 AM. He had to get a CT scan which he completely slept right through. Results were normal. We were sent home and all was fine from there on out. That was our big adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment